advice column: meeting people is easy
Hard-working handsome wrote:
What's your take on this very real situation: 28 year old guy, post-graduate degree, committed to a career in an industry that demands shift work at all hours of day and night and affords little opportunity outside that schedule to go about approaching the fairer sex. What friends he has (who are mostly of the long-term friendship variety) are either in committed relationships, engaged, or married. He likes hanging out with these friends and their friends, is somewhat comfortable knowing people who have his back, yet is totally out of his element with predominantly couple-oriented social events - especially since an added element of decorum is needed in mixed surroundings. This dude isn't one to sit on his butt when not working, but not really into dating/drinking/clubbing. What do you suggest in terms of forming new friendships/relationships, and how to deal with being the random single in couple-oriented gatherings?
First of all, I love that you call us the "fairer sex." Really, you're still single?
You're right, hard-working handsome, attending social events for pairs is really no fun when you're flying solo. My husband hardly enjoys them even when we go together. I think girls must sit around and think of ways to torture their boyfriends/husbands/partners, hence the couple-oriented social events. I suppose we figure as long as there's enough alcohol it'll go over fine. So, how to be the only dude at such a gathering? Well, if you drink even just a little bit, showing up with a bottle of wine or 6-pack of beer is definitely better than having your hands in your pockets. If you choose the latter approach, right off the bat you look awkward. But showing up with alcohol sends a sign: I'm comfortable and ready to have a good time! (Even if it's just mellow, not puking-on-your-shoes good time.) Or, you could try having a slew of good jokes on hand, or making animals out of balloons. Those are also ways of attracting attention, though it might be moreso from the 8-15 year old crowd.
Seriously, though, for meeting people I have two ideas for you. Numero uno: try going places alone, like shows or cafes. That's cool you aren't into clubbing, but you're going to have to slightly be into dating to meet and get to know a girl better. How else will you spend one-on-one time with her, eventually developing that special relationship that goes from steady to marriage to kids, BAM? When I was single, I always went to shows alone if there was no one to join me or even if I just wanted to get out there. I had pretty good luck at shows. Frequenting cafes is another one; you go to the same one often enough, you'll get a feel for the regulars and eventually strike up some conversations. I realize time and availability might be an issue for you, which you can work with. Get out there when you have the time. OR (and this brings me to numero dos): have you ever considered the online dating avenue? It may not be an appealing option at first, but I actually know several couples who met each other that way and are doing rather well. And if you have time restrictions, this might be a good way to help get you started.
Or, I suppose if you decided against anonymity I could post your name and number for you and see where that goes.
Let me know how it works out, and best of luck!
What's your take on this very real situation: 28 year old guy, post-graduate degree, committed to a career in an industry that demands shift work at all hours of day and night and affords little opportunity outside that schedule to go about approaching the fairer sex. What friends he has (who are mostly of the long-term friendship variety) are either in committed relationships, engaged, or married. He likes hanging out with these friends and their friends, is somewhat comfortable knowing people who have his back, yet is totally out of his element with predominantly couple-oriented social events - especially since an added element of decorum is needed in mixed surroundings. This dude isn't one to sit on his butt when not working, but not really into dating/drinking/clubbing. What do you suggest in terms of forming new friendships/relationships, and how to deal with being the random single in couple-oriented gatherings?
First of all, I love that you call us the "fairer sex." Really, you're still single?
You're right, hard-working handsome, attending social events for pairs is really no fun when you're flying solo. My husband hardly enjoys them even when we go together. I think girls must sit around and think of ways to torture their boyfriends/husbands/partners, hence the couple-oriented social events. I suppose we figure as long as there's enough alcohol it'll go over fine. So, how to be the only dude at such a gathering? Well, if you drink even just a little bit, showing up with a bottle of wine or 6-pack of beer is definitely better than having your hands in your pockets. If you choose the latter approach, right off the bat you look awkward. But showing up with alcohol sends a sign: I'm comfortable and ready to have a good time! (Even if it's just mellow, not puking-on-your-shoes good time.) Or, you could try having a slew of good jokes on hand, or making animals out of balloons. Those are also ways of attracting attention, though it might be moreso from the 8-15 year old crowd.
Seriously, though, for meeting people I have two ideas for you. Numero uno: try going places alone, like shows or cafes. That's cool you aren't into clubbing, but you're going to have to slightly be into dating to meet and get to know a girl better. How else will you spend one-on-one time with her, eventually developing that special relationship that goes from steady to marriage to kids, BAM? When I was single, I always went to shows alone if there was no one to join me or even if I just wanted to get out there. I had pretty good luck at shows. Frequenting cafes is another one; you go to the same one often enough, you'll get a feel for the regulars and eventually strike up some conversations. I realize time and availability might be an issue for you, which you can work with. Get out there when you have the time. OR (and this brings me to numero dos): have you ever considered the online dating avenue? It may not be an appealing option at first, but I actually know several couples who met each other that way and are doing rather well. And if you have time restrictions, this might be a good way to help get you started.
Or, I suppose if you decided against anonymity I could post your name and number for you and see where that goes.
Let me know how it works out, and best of luck!

3 Comments:
At 20 June, 2006 22:33,
Anonymous said…
ok (sis) here is my question...and maybe it will seem silly. so theres this guy...i think you know who i am talking about. he is home for the next two weeks seeing his family. he calls me this morning and we are talking...he says "i was out with my friendst last night and ran into my friend krystle (who he just happened to date breifely in high school) she had this cool tattoo she drew up of a (qote) CUPCAKE AND CROSSBONES, and said if i want it she knows a guy who will do it for free" first off...cupcake and crossbones, fucking stupid! seccondly, he has a tattoo that i drew, and i didn't fully appreciate the idea of him getting a tattoo his x-girl drew. then i find out later SHE also has the tattoo, along with a couple friends. AND he wants to get it in the same place. his reasoning is that it is funny and spontaneous...whatever. So now, not only does he want a stupid tattoo, BUT an x drew it, AND she HAS it...AND he wants it in the SAME PLACE! am i just being silly or do i have reason to be mad??? and also, when i try to explain how i feel he says i am being stupid and need to lay off.....and refuses to even TRY and understand how i feel....(that just goes back to the double standard he holds me to) what do do....ohhh what to do???
At 22 June, 2006 07:54,
Autopilot said…
What's up E. I have two questions. Why did the lazy days of summer blog not include the Sea World adventure. We feel left out. And in the Interpol song, 'Obstacle 2,' what does the line "because frineds don't waste wine when there's words to sell" mean? Oh, I guess I have a thrid quetion...Did you get you mixes in the mail yet. It should be there today or tomorrow at the latest.
At 22 June, 2006 09:02,
sladkaya said…
mike!
okay, i blew it. how could i leave out the coolest part of our trip? i will make up for it with a special entry all on sea world. i still need to get my photos up.
i'll think about your interpol question...i've pondered it myself before. and no, we have received no mixes yet. i am doing some burning today so i'll get yours off soon.
ps-you should keep up on your blog. i'd like to read what's going on in your everyday.
pps-thanks again for the hospitality and it was so nice to see you both! tag, now you come see us, and stay for a bit!
Post a Comment
<< Home